• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Can anyone share some tips to overcome the dental fear?

3 replies to this topic

#1 deborh65

deborh65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Are you a Doctor ?:No

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

I have an abscessed tooth on the lower left side of my mouth. I left it untreated as I was afraid to go to the dentists. But I don’t think I could handle it anymore. The pain is killing me. Even Tylenol couldn’t be of any help.
I have scheduled an appointment with our family dentist for next week. Since I was not able to tolerate the pain, I consulted my GP. After checking, he said that I need to undergo tooth extraction from the clinic at the earliest. I told him that I have got an appointment for next week. He said it’s not safe to wait for a week as the infection is almost spreading and it might affect other teeth too. He suggested consulting an emergency dentist in Toronto for tooth extraction. I'm worried about the extraction. I haven't been to any dental clinic before because of the fear. Can anyone here share some tips to overcome the dental fear? 

#2 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Actually experiencing this many a times, I can tell you that it is not the actual pain but the scary looking chair and equipment. But believe me, if this is the first time, you will feel much comfortable going to the dentist second time...

Tips:

Just close your eyes and be calm..

Tell your dentist to use local anesthesia before giving you injection

just wait and think of holiday or moments you enjoyed....

Its not that bad as we think it is :)

have a smile and just go...you will be much relieved.

BR

#3 Garrycollins

Garrycollins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Are you a Doctor ?:Yes

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

Take a breathe deeply and try to relax. Some dentists recommend practicing relaxation techniques before and during the appointment.

#4 Garrycollins

Garrycollins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Are you a Doctor ?:Yes

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

Fear is often learned through experience or memory. Understanding improvements in dental treatments may help alleviate your fears. Hope this helps.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users