Notice: Use of undefined constant ‘forums’ - assumed '‘forums’' in /home/pnrs/public_html/www.medchitchat.com/initdata.php on line 64
Cardio or Weights? - MensChat - Medchichat.com | Your Own Health Community

• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Cardio or Weights?

1 reply to this topic

#1 rippi

rippi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Are you a Doctor ?:No

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

want to loose weight but also want to make muscle and overall fitness, so what is the best strategy, cardio or weight or combination of both.

Cheers

#2 AkankshaFMS

AkankshaFMS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Are you a Doctor ?:No

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

For overall fitness or even to lose weight, it is essential to do a combination of both cardio and weight training.

I have been training regularly, for the last one year and had the same questions as you, when I started.

A long cardio session, will burn somewhere around 500-800 calories, depending on your routine and if you don't eat them back, you will experience weight loss over a period of time. But after a while, your body will get used to these 'long' sessions and you'l have to keep on varying the intensity or routine. Well, that goes for any exercise. 

Also, it depends on how much weight you want to lose. If it's a going to be a long fight, then cardio is the way. You burn more calories than strength training. 

But, if you're looking for toning and building muscle, go for weight training. It keeps your metabolism up for almost 36 hours, post workout. So, it's a more long term thing.

You forgot the most important aspect of weight loss/overall fitness/muscle building; diet. It's 70% of your well being.

I am biased towards strength training, personally. But I don't eliminate cardio completely; I try to squeeze in 3 session per week.

The bottom line being, go for a mixed platter of cardio and strength training, and you'l be just fine.

Hope I could help.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users