1 reply to this topic

#1 greatdr

greatdr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Are you a Doctor ?:No

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

I have been told to have TB medicine course for 9 months despite testing negative in Blood Test and Skin Test...Is it the right way when the tests are negative to start the TB course...The doctor say that there is no test in world which can predict the TB positively...is it right...what are the side effects of TB medicine...I am 29 yrs old and was loosing weight with fever...the fever is gone but I feel very weak and pale...Doc said it may be TB of Back Bone...Not too sure..please share if anybody has gone thru the TB course and if you were tested positive for TB..

#2 Baldev

Baldev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Are you a Doctor ?:No

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Mantoux tuberculin skin test (TST) is one of the most reliable test but still it may be positive for some people not having TB and negative for people having TB....some instances are:

What Are False-Positive Reactions?

Some persons may react to the TST even though they are not infected with M. tuberculosis. The causes of these false-positive reactions may include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Infection with nontuberculosis mycobacteria
  • Previous BCG vaccination
  • Incorrect method of TST administration
  • Incorrect interpretation of reaction
  • Incorrect bottle of antigen used
What Are False-Negative Reactions?

Some persons may not react to the TST even though they are infected with M. tuberculosis. The reasons for these false-negative reactions may include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Cutaneous anergy (anergy is the inability to react to skin tests because of a weakened immune system)
  • Recent TB infection (within 8-10 weeks of exposure)
  • Very old TB infection (many years)
  • Very young age (less than 6 months old)
  • Recent live-virus vaccination (e.g., measles and smallpox)
  • Overwhelming TB disease
  • Some viral illnesses (e.g., measles and chicken pox)
  • Incorrect method of TST administration
  • Incorrect interpretation of reaction

I think your doc is the best judge and you can take multiple opinions before you start the medicine....Medicine for Tb are available free of cost thru DOTS and a person has to complete the full course to be TB free...Please dont leave the course in between otherwise you may suffer from Multi Drug resistance TB (MDR)...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TB, Tuberculosis, Tb, tuberculosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users